Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Beatlemania exhibit & Malastrana

Today, 10/14, my English class went on another field trip, this time to the Czech Museum of Music. I only had 8 minutes in between classes to get to the Narodni Trida tram stop, wait for tram 22, and get to the Hellichova stop... so, besides all of the initial rushing, the trip was good.

The museum currently has a "Beatlemania" exhibit in commemoration of the music group The Beatles. I'm not too sure how this pertained to our class, but I enjoyed the exhibit.

 A yellow submarine, after their song

 Me in front of the wax figures of the 4 band members

After we finished walking around the exhibit, class was over, but a couple of decided to go for a walk. We were already in Malastrana (Lesser Town), and the Lennon Wall was right around the corner. I've already been there before, but after seeing a Beatles exhibit, the timing seemed appropriate for a second visit. Also, after hearing that the love lock bridge is just past the wall, I'd been meaning to go back. There is a small pedestrian bridge off of Velkoprevorske Namesti over a sidearm of the Vltava river in front of a water wheel. Apparently couples attach padlocks to the bridge to symbolize their love.

 Some random costumed people who burst into a dance routine to pop music in front of the wall

 The love lock bridge

Later, I went out to eat for dinner with a few people in my building (Machova). We ate at a place relatively close by, 3 tram stops away called Pivovarský Dům. I ordered the wiener schnitzel with potatoes. I wasn't too impressed with my dish, but it was a nice break from midterm studying. Did I mention that next week is midterms here at NYU? Yeah, contrary to popular belief, I do actually go to classes, and do in fact (sometimes) have work to do, unfortunately.

0 comments: