Thursday, October 7, 2010

My 20th birthday!

Thurday, 9/30, was my 20th birthday! Yes, I am no longer a teenager... Although I still feel the same!

The previous evening, 9/29, Laura and I had gone to the Peach Pit. It's located very close to Machova in the Vinohrady neighborhood. This place is supposed to be modeled after the infamous juice cafe / after school hang out place depicted in Beverly Hills, 90210 and the current spin-off 90210, but it really looked nothing like the same. I had been been meaning to go for awhile though, so I took a study break to ring in my birthday a little early.


I had to wake up the next morning to finish my paper that my professor had assigned to us during the class, so this definitely was not going to be a late night! I woke up, bright and early, and told myself that my birthday wasn't going to start until my paper was finished and printed. A few pages later, and done, it was 10 AM and I was off to breakfast! Laura couldn't go to my birthday dinner that night, as she had a boat cruise with her study abroad program, so we went out to breakfast at Zanzibar. It's a cafe type place located within walking distance (if you haven't noticed yet, a TON of places are located in my neighborhood. Seriously. You don't have to walk far to find any of what you're looking for. Chinese, sushi, coffee, the bank, 24/7 grocery shops, etc...) I haven't had good, old traditional pancakes since coming here, so I figured I'd order the pancakes with chocolate and nuts. Imagine my surprise when out came a plate with two crepes filled with what must have been an entire bowlful of melted chocolate. It was delicious. I just told myself I was having my birthday cake a little early... and for breakfast!

Then, I had class from 12-3. Then I had my internship from 4-6. (I'm not sure if I've yet mentioned my internship in this blog... I'll save that for another entry, in that case.)

Then it was time to go to my birthday dinner at Pizzeria Grosseto! Again, conveniently located 4 blocks down right by the Namesti Miru metro stop, I've heard great things about this place. Past and current NYU students have raved about the place, and there are not too many restaurants that give you free bread for the table! I had some delicious pizza with Bonnie, Sam, Cassidy, Brandy, and Brianna, and then it was back to Machova... for my cake! They surprised me with a nice strawberry shortcake.

Our pizzas! Mine was verdure e prosciutto crudo (tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto crudo, roasted fresh vegetables, small tomatoes, fresh basil, and parmesan shaving)

The interior of the restaurant

My strawberry shortcake! Yum!

By this time it was 9:30 pm, and I was expecting my friend Alex, from Bucknell. She was studying with NYU in Florence, and was taking a flight in to visit me for the weekend. Lo and behold, I got a phone call, and she was at the door! I was really excited to see her! We hadn't seen each other in a while, and it was great to catch up and hang out again after a few months.

It was a pretty good birthday, if you ask me!

0 comments: