Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Malastrana, take 5

Today, 11/24, after class I headed out to Malastrana again. The 'Lesser Town' is on the western side of the Vltava River, underneath the Prague Castle, and is predominated with Baroque architecture.

After taking the metro to Malastranska, I walked on my way to the Kafka museum. On the way down I stopped at a bank overlooking the Vltava river and looked at the eastern landscape. The Charles Bridge and Old Town Square were in the nearby distance across the river. Proceeding along, I got to the museum where there is a small square with the peeing man statues. These statues were created by famous Czech artist and sculptor David Cerny. With the stream of water they write quotes from famous Prague residents. Visitors can even send text message from a cell phone to a number, displayed next to the sculptures and the living statue then ‘writes’ the text of the message, before carrying on as before.

Peeing Man statues

Curious to investigate the layout of the area, I kept walking and came across the Charles Bridge and shortly thereafter the love locks bridge and the Lennon Wall. I then walked to my second intended destination: Malastrana Namesti. This is where the St. Nicholas Church is located. Characterized by the greenish Dome and Bell Tower, the church holds concerts - the same venue where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the organ!

St. Nicholas Church

Well, it was a successful and productive day of Prague touring, and modesty aside, after all these trips I have made over there I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say that I would make a decent tour guide of the area!

1 comments:

monica said...

Its so bizzare..thats exactly whatI was thinking, when I was reading your blog.. abt the tour guide bit:)