Monday, November 29, 2010

More Christmas Markets!

Monday, 11/29, my 1:30 pm class was canceled so I took advantage of the few extra hours of daylight in my afternoon and I explored the Christmas markets. Over the weekend on Saturday, the Christmas market had opened up in Old Town Square and there was a festive tree lighting ceremony at 5 pm. I walked around the Old Town Square market and saw the tree, nativity set, and the other decorations.

Old Town Square

Next up? The Namesti Republiky markets located outside of the Palladium mall. These were not nearly as grandiose, and only had a few food stalls.

Namesti Republiky

Overall, I was more impressed with the size and extent of the Christmas markets in Budapest than in Prague. Maybe one day I will even get to travel to Vienna for their world famed markets. The traditions everywhere are all still great to experience though. This Sunday, 12/5, is Mikulas (St. Nicholas Day) when Mikulas, the angel, and the devil come to Old Town Square to give the good children sweets and the naughty children coal... Or to be placed in the Devil's sack and sent to hell. Oh, the Czech's and their black humor. I will unfortunately be missing this event as well since I will be out of the country (again).

0 comments: