Sunday, December 12, 2010

The final ballet

Yes, I have officially gone to 5 ballets. A part of me wishes I'd also seen the Czech philharmonic, a musical, or the black light theater, but I did enjoy all of the ballets, so I don't regret going back so many times.

Saturday, 12/11, I saw Goldilocks. In the Czech version, a cook disobeys the king and eats a piece of the snake he's preparing for him - and is then able to understand animals. The king is furious and orders the cook to find the golden haired princess that they both hear the animals talking of. The ballet then follows the cook's journeys to get to the princess, the trials he must pass in order to take her with him back to the king, and how he and the princess later overcome the king and attain the crown. It was definitely an interesting take on the classic version of a hungry girl who eats porridge from 3 bears that I'd always heard growing up. (If you're interested in reading the Czech story, click away)

The cast of Goldilocks taking a bow

Afterward we went to U Fleku a Czech restaurant and microbrewery that is pretty well known. It was my final meal of Czech food consisting of beef goulash, bread dumplings (I don't recommend these), and speck dumplings. The place itself is very reminiscent for me of the Oktoberfest tents. The long tables make up several rows so that you are seated next to different parties of people, there is live music from the accordion player and the waiters carry large trays of food up and down the place much like the Oktoberfest vendors. All of these factors contribute to a very festive and jovial atmosphere.

U Fleku!

I only have 5 days left here.

0 comments: