Thursday, December 16, 2010

Goodbye Praha. Until next time...

Ukončete prosím výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají. Příští stanice: Namesti Miru.
Please finish exiting and boarding the train, the doors are closing. Next stop: Namesti Miru.

I've heard these words (and its variations) countless times upon entering the metro daily. My next stop is no longer in Prague, however. My next stop is America.

For the past 4 months, this place has been my home. Coming here - to this country and with this program - has been, hands down, the single, best decision of my college career.

I knew eventually I would have to leave. I knew I wouldn't want to. I knew I would probably be looking forward to going home and the comforts and familiarities that affords. There are things I've missed about the US: having a cell phone plan, extroverted strangers being helpful (ie: helping me up when I fall or giving us directions), and understanding the language. And then there are things I won't miss about Prague: paying for WC's, paying for tap water, paying for take out containers, giving up metro seats to anyone older than you, and being short changed. There are of course things I'll miss about Prague... living in an ancient, preserved city, not having to pay tip, and the ability to readily take public transportation to another country among many other things. I didn't know how much I would want just a little more time here. I actually want a lot more time. But I'd settle for a little, also.

Franz Kafka once said, "Prague never lets you go... this dear little mother has sharp claws." Upon hearing this statement at orientation, I scoffed at these words. What a melodramatic exaggeration, I thought. And look at me now, quoting the surrealist himself.

I knew next to little about this country before moving here. Now, I know a lot. I know the streets, the city layout, the transportation, the customs, how the people are, the weather, the currency the culture... the city. I still obviously don't know a lot (namely the language), and granted I was in somewhat of a bubble while studying in this "Island Program" and granted I was still a "tourist" regardless of my extended stay student visa status.  Regardless, I was still living in this city, and living on my own. The independence on a daily basis here and the freedom on the weekends while traveling was unparalleled to anything I have ever experienced. I learned to book flight tickets and hostels, to navigate myself in foreign countries, to figure out foreign Sim cards and banks, and to cook (in foreign grocery stores - not the easiest thing).

This semester was a very (much needed) refreshing change to the life I have always led. In some ways it was exactly what I needed. There wasn't anything "perfect" about this semester, in fact, there were a few mishaps along the way. There were times when I was so incredibly busy that made me feel entirely drained and exhausted (note to self: never travel to 4 different countries 4 weekends in a row!) but I have no regrets. My time and experiences here and in the rest of Europe was spectacular. I loved always having something to do and leading a fast paced schedule (not being held back by academics was an added bonus as well!). It will definitely be an adjustment to go back - to my previous life and to America (I can't wait to hear people speak in English!) and I may even experience "reverse culture shock" - I know I definitely experienced culture shock when coming here initially. If you ask me would I ever come back to Prague to live indefinitely or would I want to move here, I would reply with a definitive "No." But am I glad that I tested my limits and wasn't restricted by conventional norms by choosing an Eastern European country? Absolutely, yes. And if you asked me would I ever think of moving to western Europe for a period of time... my answer would be absolutely, yes. This semester widened my perspective, tested my boundaries of what I am used to, and I might even say made me grow up a little.

This semester with NYU v Praze will always have a special place in my heart as I fondly look back to it. I made great friends, and lived in a wonderful place. What more could I have possibly asked for? One of my friends summed it up pretty nicely: "I realized that this past semester has felt like a slow motion jump, a smile on pause. This has been some of the greatest times I’ve ever had in my life, and I realize that in hindsight. I think one of the most rewarding things you can encounter in life is being in one of those moments where you feel as though life can never get any better and actually recognizing it. And I think I have."

The shuttle NYU set up for us is coming at 6:45 AM. My flight is at 10 AM. After a connection in Paris, I will be back in the USA at 3:40 EST. This is it for this blog - the end. I hope you enjoyed reading about my life here as much as I've enjoyed my life here.

So long Praha. I think it's appropriate for me to now use one of the few Czech words I know - dekuji. Thank you.

0 comments: