Friday, December 10, 2010

People in Need Internship

You may or may not remember that during orientation we had an internship meeting with representatives talking on behalf of several Prague based companies. I applied to a few NGO and journalism companies, and after a couple of interviews I decided to accept an internship with People in Need.
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech organization that provides relief aid and development assistance, while working to defend human rights and democratic freedom. At home, People in Need administers social integration programs in the Czech Republic and Slovakia and provides informative and educational activities. PIN is one of the largest organizations of its kind in post-communist Europe, and has administered projects in thirty-seven countries over the past fourteen years.
PIN is located in Prague 2, just a 5-10 minute walk from my building in Machova. I've only had to go to the building a couple of times for information meetings though. I do all my work on my own time where ever I please. My main responsibilities thus far have mainly revolved around editing. I have edited a few documents and a couple large manuals (they needed a native English speaker). I also did some research on databases and most recently I gave a test run of a capacity development handbook by reading through it and answering the questions.

For the most part, the internship was not too taxing. Since it lacked a precise schedule, however, I would very sporadically get a lot of work accumulated at once. I'm glad I interned here though. If only to find out that employees can bring their dogs to work, it was an experience I wouldn't take back!

0 comments: