Friday, December 10, 2010

Mikulas and Ice skating

You may remember me talking about St. Mikulas Day that I had missed the previous Sunday, on 12/5, since I was coming back from Florence. Well, Monday 12/6 the NYU in Prague RA's had a little surprise stored up their sleeves. 3 of them came class to class dressed as the angel, St. Mikulas and the devil. They put ash on a volunteer's face (the 'naughty' child) and gave us candy!

(In case you're wondering, our RA's - there are a few per building, 3 in mine - are Czech college students. They live in our residential buildings as RA's, and also work part time in the NYU center buildings in the library or front desk... depending on the rotation. So, they live and work with us. And since they are Czech they are extremely helpful with any Prague/Europe questions we have! Another part of their job is having RA events. Each of them from time to time organize and advertise for their event that is open to all the students.)

The angel, St. Mikulas and the devil

My 1:30 class was a double session that day, serving as a make-up class... but I left a little earlier... to go ice skating! One of the RA's was having an RA event at a local ice skating rink, and as NYU was subsidizing the cost, I figured this was the perfect time... for a first try at ice skating! Well, I only fell once. And spent a lot of time hugging the railing. And the RA was even nice enough to try to teach me how to ice skate... but my best bet was definitely the ice walker!

Ice skating

After ice skating we stopped by Old Town Square and I picked up a párek v rohlíku, which is a nontraditional hot dog (the hot dog is slid into a hole inside the bun) - I had worked up quite an appetite from skating!

0 comments: