Friday, December 10, 2010

Libraries, the ballet, and tea

On Wednesday, 12/8, I had another busy day. I met a friend at Old Town before class to grab a quick Indian meal at Beas - a self serve vegetarian place. We wandered through the Christmas market and looked at the marionette dolls (Prague is famous for puppet shows) and then I had class from 12 to 3. After class, I went to the Klementinum, the national library of the Czech Republic. I had been meaning to for awhile, and I'm glad I did even if it was just to see the interesting sculpture in the front lobby. The upright hollow tunnel like figure was made entirely out of books stuck together. The most interesting part was that when you looked inside of it, it looked like it was never ending... because there were mirrors placed at the top and bottom!

 A tunnel of books

After about an hour to regroup back in Machova, I headed back out to Cafe Louvre, a Parisian style café and billiard hall, dating from 1902. I got the large pea cream soup with mint, potato with cream and bacon and the ricotta cake with lemon and whipped cream. Then it was time for the ballet! NYU in Prague was subsidizing tickets to the Nutcracker, which I'd never seen. It was great, but I'll have to see it again in the US someday... the Prague version combined the Nutcracker and A Christmas Carol.

Nutcracker cast taking a bow

My night wasn't yet over. Another RA, had organized another RA event at Siva, an Arabian style tea and coffee room. I'm not too big into tea or coffee, but it was a nice atmosphere and something I hadn't yet done in Prague! As you can see, I'm trying to cross a lot of things off my bucket list while I still have the chance... I only have 8 days left here.

0 comments: