Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1st day of classes, 9/6/10

Monday was the first day of classes and I had Czech at 12 to 1:20 and Literature and the Place of Central Europe from 1:30 to 2:50.

I'm only taking Czech this semester, since I'm in Prague. So I'm not looking to master the language through taking several courses over the next couple of years, but instead to know a good enough amount to get around living day to day here. Our professor informed us that she assumed as much about our motives behind taking the class. Thus, our class would be moving at a faster pace in order for us to know Czech now rather than at the end of the semester. So far, we have only gone over material we learned during our orientation class. And, we have a quiz this coming Monday on numbers 1-99 and the verbs 'to have' and 'to be.' Fun.

I chose my English class because after my freshman foundation seminar, I have never taken an English course in college. I enjoy writing so this seemed like a good fit. The professor seems engaging and interesting. She has already looked into some day trips outside of the classroom for hands on knowledge. So far, we have been assigned a few poems to read. The literature will be from the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovak Republic.

It's hard to tell how a class will be after only a day or 2, but I don't see myself dropping these two in any case.

0 comments: