Sunday, September 5, 2010

Orientation Day 7, 9/5/10

Today I ate a lot of food.

I went to brunch at Lehká Hlava at 10:30 with Brianna and it was tasty, as always. This time we were seated in the night room. This picture doesn’t do it justice, so I’ll have to go back for another meal to take another picture! The ceiling had lights twinkling like stars and the table tops were crushed flowers under glass. Afterwards, I walked down Václavské náměstí where there is a bunch of shops. I bought a pretty scarf from H&M! In my defense, I don’t have a lot of clothes here, so I need scarves to make my outfits look a little different… so it doesn’t look like I’m wearing the same shirt every day…

A little blurry...
A smattering of Czech food that I really don’t know what they are
There's a Ben & Jerry's on Václavské náměstí!
H&M is awesome
We had the boat cruise with the NYU professors and staff at 2 so I had to go back to Machova to meet everyone who was going over at 1. We had the boat cruise from 2-4 and guess what, they served us more food! There was spinach lasagna, pesto pasta with tomato sauce, potato gratin, and a ton of bread, salad, and vegetables. It was sunny off and on, so the weather was pleasant.

The view from the boat. The castle is in the background.
The Charles Bridge
To the extreme right, is the 'Dancing House,' which looks like male and female dancers. This is a better picture: click. I'll have to go more up close at some point!
 On the way back to Machova after the boat came back into the harbor, we ran into (literally) a fashion show on Pařížská road! This was my first time seeing a fashion show in person, so that was really cool. It seemed like there were a few different designers showing there. You can’t tell from the picture, but the runway was fairly long, stretching out to the end of the street. I’ve decided that this street (right off of Old Town Square) is the 5th Ave of Prague. Literally. There are Dior, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Prada and Gucci stores and the fashion show was the icing on the cake.

One of the models going down the runway
I had a couple of minutes to spare back at Machova before having to head back out again. Laura and her mom and brother were taking a train in to Prague from Budapest that afternoon, and they had invited me to go to dinner with them. I was expecting to get incredibly lost and confused trying to find the apartment building they’re staying in, but nicely enough it was really close to Old Town Square! In fact, the street is the same one that Bohemia Bagel is on (a lunch / internet café that is popular with the NYU crowd). I took them to Maitrea since it’s very close by (and my knowledge of the eateries isn’t too expansive right now). Afterwards, I hung out with Laura for about an hour then headed back to Machova by 10. (By the way, Laura is my friend from high school who is also studying abroad in Prague this semester with the School of Economics here.)

Meatless Kung Pao with vegan “chicken“ pieces, spring vegetables, peanuts, and rice
Tomorrow is the first day of classes so I’m sure I will have much to report on that! Speaking of, I need to check the schedule for which classes I have tomorrow… and where…

0 comments: