Saturday, September 4, 2010

Orientation Day 5, 9/3/10

Friday I had my alarm set for 6:30, which was pretty tortuous. But, I really wanted my first pick of trips, and I knew there would be a line. I was out the door by 7:10 and at the NYU center 20 minutes later… and sure enough the room already had a good 25 people. Anyway, I signed up for Český Krumlov and Kutná Hora as well as the waitlist for a few others. I would also like to go to Brno and the Caves, so it would be nice if a spot opens up on that list. Well, it was 8:30 by then and class only started at 10. Now, I’m not at Bucknell and my dorm is not 5 minutes walking distance from the academic quad. So, heading back to Machova for a 40 minute round trip ride was not worth it. Instead, I got a hazelnut hot chocolate (with a shot of expresso) at the Starbucks in Old Town Square and sat down with Kim, Brianna, and Skivjana. At 9 am we went outside to look at the astronomical tower as it has a traditional changing on the hour.

The astronomical clock in Old Town Square
A close up
Notice the guy in red with the trumpet?
Then I had my last (orientation) Czech class from 10-12:30. We learned the basic expressions for directions and cab rides. Fascinating stuff. Afterwards, I had lunch at Maitrea, which is very close to the Old Town Square. Maitrea is by the same owners as Lehká Hlava, and as expected, the meal was delicious. Eating meals this past week with a vegan eater and a gluten free eater have been tasty… but I am definitely missing meat! Maitrea restaurant website

I'm not sure what the point of laying these flowers out was, but they were pretty...
Thai eggplant with tofu, fresh coriander, chili peppers, and coconut milk with rice
White chocolate mouse with caramel wafers and strawberries
I snagged this picture of Maitrea from spottedbylocals.com
 I was back at Machova by 3 and had time to take a quick shower before I headed back out to get to the NYU center by 4. I had signed up for the Castle tour, so I was off to that. We saw the castle, changing of the guards, and some pretty churches. I don’t really remember all the names…

View from outside
Guards standing out front
Guards standing in the back
Changing of the guards
A church
Inside the church
Another church
And another
View from the top
Straight after, I was off to the opera to see Marriage of Figaro. NYU offered us 1 ticket to a cultural event of our choice. There was the Don Giovanni opera, the swan lake ballet, the Czech philharmonic, and La Putyka (a new circus festical). I had not been smart about setting my alarm early for this sign up… hence the opera tickets. Getting there was an interesting experience. The tour had gone too late for me to go to the NYU center and walk over with everyone, so I was on my own for transportation. I took a tram 3 stops too many. And then I took it back in the opposite direction 1 stop short. I finally got on a third time and got off at the correct stop, met Ruby in Old Town Square (fellow Machova-er) and we walked to the opera. The opera was an interesting experience as well, and I can now officially say I have been to a Czech opera. They had subtitles, but I still had difficulty understanding everything that was going on… and focusing.

Inside the opera house
Taking a bow at the end
Afterwards, it was way past dinner time but the smažený sýr was calling us. We went to the Wenceslas Square and got some delicious fried cheese. This is a staple Czech stall vendor snack, and I have a feeling this won’t be the last time I have it.

The famous smažený sýr

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to try the smažený sýr! Yes, I'm your fellow offshore foodie!

mM said...

looks like you had a nice busy day with loads of experience...