Thursday, September 2, 2010

Orientation Day 3, 09/03: Delicious food, the gym, and groceries

So, this is my 2nd attempt at this blog entry. The first time all the content was accidentally deleted. Long story short.

 Yesterday I had my Czech class from about 10 to 12:30 (with a 15 minute break - this might sound odd that college students have a break in a class that's only 2 hours long, but believe me... we need it in this class!) Afterwards, I joined a classmate and her roommate (both of whom live in Osadni; Kim and Brianna) for lunch. A few fellow Machova-ers also came along. After a little search for the place, we arrived at Lehká Hlava in Borson 2, located in New Town (the NYU center is in Old Town - more explanation on the difference later as I still am not too sure on this!) Lehká Hlava restaurant website

The place was great! We had to wait a little bit for a table, as there were 6 of us, but it was definitely worth it. The menu has mainly Mediterranean influences with a few Mexican touches. I had the special which was a seaweed/mushroom soup and goulash. Along with water this came up to a grand total of 108 crowns. Not too shabby! The atmosphere is eclectic and funky. Our table was located in a mini room, which we had all to ourselves - door to close, and everything! Each room has a different theme - ours was the rainbow room. Needless to say, we are going back for the 1st Sunday of the month brunch (which is very conveniently this Sunday!) Anyway, after I finished my food, I asked the waiter (hesitantly). I haven't seen to many locals leaving eating places with doggie bags, so I wasn't sure if this was a cultural no-no. Well, the waiter obliged and brought me back a container with my food. The clincher? he also brought back an extra bill. Did I really just pay 12 crowns to take my leftovers home?! Interesting. Well, the total bill was 754 crowns for all 6 of us... so, nothing to complain about that.

Miso soup with seaweed and shitake mushrooms
Szeged goulash with tempeh, natural and jasmine rice, and lettuce
A table full of delicious food
The rainbow room!
Afterwards, we split up and I headed to explore the Machova neighborhood with a fellow Machova-er (Brandy). We took the metro 2 stops past Staremesti to Flora, where Alberts a grocery store is located. The store wasn't as big as Tesco (which is a giant) but it was still a good size. I bought a few things I wanted like strawberry yogurt, napkins, and yes... gladware containers! I held off on the milk since I'm not too sure yet on all of the words. Oh and by the way, you have to pay for your grocery bags at this place. What is with Prague and their containers and bags, I really don't know.

Then, we went to the gym, which is conveniently located right upstairs. NYU gives us special rates at the HIT Fitness Flora gym (40 crowns per visit). The gym wasn't as big as the ones back in the US, and not as hi-tech as Bucknell's, but I was definitely happy with it. It was a good size and plenty of cardio machines.

The metro system is incredibly simple compared to NYC's as it only has 3 lines. However, you'd be surprised at how long it took for me to figure out this sign...
Cardio section of the gym
I didn't feel creepy at all taking pictures here...
Frozen aisle of Albert's - a.k.a. the extent of my future attempts at cooking

And that way my day (yesterday).

0 comments: