Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1st day of classes, part 2, 9/7/10

Tuesday was my first day of my other 2 classes. I had History of Nationalism in Central and Eastern Europe at 12:00 to 1:20 and Inequalities: Social Stratification in a Changing World from 1:30 to 2:50.

I've never taken a history class in college, only a political science class (that didn't impress me that much), and I wasn't a huge fan of the read and memorize tactics of high school history. So, I had never given history serious consideration for college classes. I think this particular class just worked well with my schedule, and I figured I'd give it a shot. The topic seems interesting enough, and is after all very appropriate given our physical location. In all honesty however, I'm already a little bored in this class. Hopefully my opinion changes, but as of now, I don't have huge expectations. I'm really just not a 'history' person. But, the professor seems very knowledgeable so that is one good thing.

I already know I'm going to really enjoy my sociology class. I find sociology (and anthropology) in general very interesting. I have previously taken a law related sociology course at Bucknell, which I enjoyed, and this class seemed like a good choice for a different taste of the same sphere.

Pretty much all of my classes (except Czech) are graded mainly on papers and midterms/finals. We'll see how all of that goes. I have a long track record of extreme procrastination so here's to that changing in Prague! On that note... I really need to buy a planner...

One thing I can say about all of my classes is that I didn't have to buy even one single book. All books are "readers" (instead of textbooks) and I rent them for the semester from the library. For free!

4 comments:

monica said...

Your classes seem fun, even the history class! Are you going to learn czech too???

monica said...

ok scratch that...now know that you ARE gonna be doing czech classes...i hereby appoint you my czech guide for those days!!!

Jenn said...

haha yes, I'll brush up on my Czech and be your tour guide! And you'll have the inside scoop on all of the must see places in Prague as well!

Unknown said...

Our books are free too. Why can't American colleges hop on this idea?